Thursday, September 25, 2008

Fast, Cheap and Easy Tip #3: Ground Hogs Save You Money!

Perhaps you recall the great fun I had getting the last ground hog out of my yard. He saved me $50... well, there was plenty where he came from...

I caught THIS one FINALLY last afternoon and he was PISSED...

or she...

I have no idea how you tell the difference and I don't want to...

Now, the last time, I had a minute to think of what to do with it,... last night I had no such luxury... I had had the THIRD day in a row of day from hell this week at that lunatic bin I call an office and I hadn't gotten home at lunch to let Shadow the Wonder Dog out and he had to PEE and he had to eat and I was in no mood for any lip from a damn groundhog...

SO I took Shadow out the front which he likes better than having to pee in his own yard anyway... and then we got him some dinner and then I stared at the damn thing for a while...

I truly was thinking about getting a plastic bag and getting the trap into the bag and putting it all in the car for another little trip to City Island but it was getting late and that trap was not staying shut like it was the last time... the back door of it was getting wiggled open enough by that creature that I just KNEW he would be out of the trap and nothing but a plastic bag to keep him from running around like a loon in my CAR while I was trying to DRIVE...

No...
I, instead, WALKED him out of my house through from the back deck in front of the dog who was VERY interested in helping me... and then... UP to Seventh St... across 3 BIG streets I CARRIED the damn trap holding the back end of it closed so he couldn't jump out as I walked and he was HEAVY! ... past the ladies at the Legion Hall who were bitching at me for bringing the ground hog 2 blocks to THEIR place...

I told them he had likely been visiting with them on his own before this which they didn't want to hear and finally I got him to the big field that has a fence across it next to the ice house so that if he had jumped out of the trap after I got the back of it opened and through the hole in the fence, he would prolly have found a billion ground hog holes... one of which prolly opened right up into MY back yard, dammit... and been happy but NO...

He decided to jump out and head for the parking lot of the ice house where there is nothing but a dock that is too high up for him to jump and no where for him to go but out in the street and, oh, please, oh, please, oh,please, get hit by a passing car and never to bother my tomatoes again...

I tried to shoo him the other way but he was having none of it and just hid behind the axle of an ice wagon in the corner of the parking lot and he can sit there until Kingdom Come for all I care...

And so, having already invested in that Harbor Freight trap... this brings my ground hog eradication bonus refund to: $120.

Plus the tomatoes I'm going to get to eat so long as another ground hog doesn't show up...


No comments: